The desire to gain extra inches is often fueled by various factors, such as improving self-confidence, excelling in sports, or simply feeling more comfortable in your own skin. While genetics play a significant role in determining height, teenagers can adopt other practical tips to optimize their growth. And with that in mind, do not miss some effective strategies to get taller, stronger, and healthier.
Eat plenty of nutritious foods
As teenagers undergo rapid growth and development, providing their bodies with the right nutrients is a must. Adequate nutrition during these formative years can significantly impact their height potential, as it provides the necessary building blocks for bone development, muscle growth, and overall health.
Foods that make teens grow tall
- Milk and dairy products, like cheese and yogurt, are rich sources of calcium and vitamin D, two vital nutrients for building strong bones and supporting height increase.
- Leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, and broccoli, provide teens with essential nutrients, including calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K, to improve their healthy bone growth.
- Lean protein found in poultry, fish, lean meats, tofu, beans, and lentils helps deliver high-quality proteins with essential amino acids. Proteins are necessary for repairing and building tissues, thereby supporting the body’s frame and development.
- Eggs are a complete protein source, providing all essential amino acids for growth and repair. They are also rich in vitamin B12, which is essential for cell growth and brain function. Choline, another nutrient found in eggs, is critical for brain development and function.
- Brown rice, quinoa, oats, and whole wheat bread are rich in fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
- Nuts and seeds are packed with good nutrients, like vitamin E, magnesium, and healthy fats, to support muscle and bone health.
- Fruits are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can contribute to general health and growth.
Growth supplements for height
As mentioned above, proper nutrition plays a vital role in boosting rapid height growth during childhood and adolescence. But not all kids and teens get enough key nutrients for their growth from the diet alone, especially picky eaters or those with food allergies. Even some who have a well-balanced diet might not catch up with their growth due to nutritional deficiencies. In this case, taking a height growth supplement is a must.
But to pick a proper product, here are things to consider.
The first thing is to examine the key ingredients, such as calcium, collagen, and vitamins D3 & K2. These are vital materials to build strong and healthy bones, leading to rapid growth in height. Besides, some precious herbal extracts are included to give benefits to immunity, energy levels, and overall health.
The second thing is to learn about quality and safety. You should look for supplements from reputable and well-established manufacturers. Carefully read the ingredients list to know what it contains. Make sure they are natural, non-GMO, and free from common allergens. And look for third-party certifications on the product label, such as GMP or HACCP, which indicate that the supplement has been independently tested.
Here, you can try NuBest Tall 10+, a popular height growth supplement, loved worldwide for its safety and effectiveness. Every capsule is enriched with highly absorbable calcium, collagen, vitamins D3 & K2, and herbs to support healthy growth and body development in children and teens.
Staying hydrated is often overlooked but is essential for various bodily functions. Encourage teens to drink at least 6 to 8 cups of water throughout the day. Also, drinking a half cup to 2 cups of water every 15 to 20 minutes is necessary during play or exercise.
Get enough sleep
Teens aged 13 to 18 should sleep 8 to 10 hours daily, according to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
It is because the pituitary gland releases a remarkable amount of human growth hormones during deep sleep stages. For teenagers, who are in the midst of their growth spurt, maximizing these hormones is crucial in supporting bone elongation and muscle growth.
Unfortunately, busy schedules, academic demands, and digital distractions often lead to sleep deprivation. Consequently, insufficient sleep can hinder their height potential and overall development.
How to help them sleep better?
- Create a sleep-friendly environment by keeping the bedroom cool, dark, and quiet.
- Limit screen time before bedtime to prevent disruptions to the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle.
- Encourage your children to stick to a regular sleep schedule, even on weekends. This enhances their sleep quality and ensures their body has ample time to produce growth hormones.
- Avoid caffeine and sugary drinks as well as heavy meals close to bedtime, or they might cause discomfort and disrupt sleep patterns.
- Have short naps of around 20 to 30 minutes to recharge the body and mind, resulting in a good night’s sleep.
Promote physical activities
The daily recommendation for physical activity for teens is at least 60 minutes per day. Staying active not only strengthens muscles and bones but also stimulates growth hormone production, supporting overall growth and height increase.
Let them participate in age-appropriate activities, such as swimming, basketball, volleyball, cycling, and running. Incorporating stretching, like yoga or pilates, can also enhance height potential by improving posture and spinal alignment. Or do jumping, skipping, and strength training with resistance bands or light weights to strengthen bone strength and density.
Encourage outdoor activities to help your children get benefits from sunlight exposure. Sunlight provides vitamin D, a vital nutrient for calcium absorption and bone health. But make sure to avoid prolonged exposure, usually between 10 am to 4 pm, as excessive sun exposure can lead to sunburn and other skin issues. It is necessary to protect the skin by using sunscreen and wearing protective clothing.
Maintain proper posture
Proper posture involves aligning the ears, shoulders, hips, and ankles in a straight line when standing, with the natural curves of the spine maintained. Being mindful of posture while sitting is crucial, with the spine properly supported and feet flat on the floor.
Rounded shoulders and forward head posture are common postural issues, especially among teenagers who spend extended periods on digital devices. Specific exercises, such as shoulder stretches, chin tucks, and chest opening exercises, can help correct these imbalances and improve posture.
Avoid harmful habits
Smoking hurts the lungs, decreases the oxygen supply to tissues, and interferes with nutrient absorption, thereby hindering growth and development. Excessive alcohol consumption can also prevent nutrient absorption and disrupt hormone balance.
While moderate caffeine intake is generally safe for teens, taking too much can interfere with sleep patterns, potentially affecting height growth. And the use of recreational drugs and substances can obstruct hormone regulation, impair nutrient absorption, and hinder normal growth patterns in teens.
While it is essential to embrace these tips and habits mentioned above for teens to grow taller, they need to set realistic expectations. Since each person has a unique height potential, embracing the body with self-acceptance and confidence is key to overall well-being. As parents, you play a vital role in supporting their physical and emotional health. Do your best to help them reach their full height potential and thrive during their growing years and beyond.
*This is not health advice. It does not represent the health guidance of MyTeenGuide.com. Direct matters of your personal health with your physician.*