This Autism Awareness craft for kids post contains affiliate links to help you shop for supplies.
For decades, the puzzle piece has been the symbol for Autism and Autism awareness. The puzzle piece to many signifies the diverse Autism spectrum, and how there is much to still be solved and pieced together when it comes to Autism. In honor of Autism Awareness, why not try a little crafting using this symbolic puzzle piece? While there are many projects you can do, this DIY Autism Puzzle Piece Frame is not only fun and colorful, but it is quite simple and activity you can enjoy with your own child if you wish. You don’t need a great deal of supplies or to spend a great deal of money. In fact, you can most likely do this project using everyday items you already have around your home. Take a look at how you can make your own DIY Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Frame craft for kids.
DIY Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Frame Craft for Kids:
- A few dozen puzzle pieces. You can either buy a puzzle for $1 at your local dollar store, or you can use pieces from a thrift store puzzle.
- Crafting glue or hot glue gun and glue
- Picture frame or mirror. Your dollar store will have a huge selection for just $1 each.
- Spray paint or crafting paint
- Clear acrylic spray coat, optional
Remember, a great deal of these supplies are at your local dollar store or even around your home. The clear acrylic spray is optional and just for if you want a way to secure your frame and offer a little extra protection from moisture or light. Your frame should be fine without it is you choose not to use it.
- To begin, lay your puzzle pieces out flat on some old newspaper. Apply a coat of paint to each and allow to dry. Then, apply a second coat. Allow more drying time.
- Once dry, apply a dot of glue to the back, unpainted side of the puzzle piece. Press the piece firmly to your frame. Hold for several seconds until secure.
- Repeat this process until your frame is covered.
- Once your layer is on, you can continue stacking pieces to create depth and interest if you wish.
- When done, you can apply a clear coat of acrylic spray to protect your piece, but this is optional. Allow plenty of time to dry.
You can now assemble your frame and place whatever photos or mirror you wish inside. This frame would be a wonderful gift to a parent of a child with Autism, or to display at an Autism function or event. It will look lovely holding the picture of a child you love. You can get as creative as you wish with this project, adding any embellishments you see fit such as as glitter, stickers, or paint.
The puzzle piece will no doubt remain a symbol of Autism Awareness in the years to come. Make your own DIY Autism Puzzle Piece Picture Frame and use the puzzle piece to create a project that is fun, easy, and inexpensive. You will be so glad you did!
Love crafting? Check out the essentials for a craft kit to help make crafting time easier!