Want to throw the absolutely most amazing black light party ever?
Wait until you see our ideas!
In case you’re wondering, a black light party centers on the usage of…you guessed it, black lights: a type of lighting that has a special coating that removes all visible light and allows in long-wave UV light.
This UV light will reflect off anything that’s fluorescent or white, giving those items a brilliant, futuristic pop of color.
Cool, then let’s get down to some black light party ideas!
Tips for Throwing a Black Light Party for Teens
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Since this is a black light party, your #1 priority needs to be black lighting, of course. You have a couple of options here, depending on how much you want to spend.
- Amazon has a 36-watt Black Light LED Bar, which features 12 LED lights that will light up a space that measures 20-feet by 20-feet.
- If you are looking for a kit, you can also get a Complete Black Light Glow Party Kit, which comes with (4) 6.5-foot-long UV LED blacklight strips, (2) 12-volt power adapters, (2) splitter cables and adhesive backing.
- Need a super budget-friendly option? Buy a bunch of black light bulbs and replace the bulbs in your party venue (or your house) with them!
Check out this video for tips on how to set up your lights:
So, you’ve decided you want to have a black light party, right? Well, now you need to let your friends know about your party. Let’s talk invitations! Check out some of my favorites:
- Birthday Cake Glow in the Dark Party Invitations, from Zazzle, can be personalized and you can choose from 12 paper types, 6 shape options and 2 printing options.
- Glow Party Birthday Party Invitations, from Amazon, is a set of 8 invitations.
- Neon Let’s Party Invitations, from Target, is a set of 10 invitations.
If you didn’t find what you were looking for in the above options, try making your own! Use a program like PicMonkey or PhotoShop. Start with a black background, then add your party details in neon letters! Then just print them out and you’re good to go!
Okay, time to think about some cool decorations for your party area!
- First, you’ll want to cover walls and ceiling, or just walls if you want, with a white sheet. Remember, black lights will reflect off anything that’s white.
- Next, Amazon has Neon Fluorescent Wall Paint. The package comes with 8 containers of wall paint, so you can go crazy and splatter the paint over the white sheets. (Actually, you may want to do this step OUTSIDE and let it dry before hanging the sheets on your wall).
- Black light posters look amazing under black light. Black light posters will look totally awesome on the walls of your party space and don’t cost too much.
- Let’s talk balloons for a minute! After all, what’s a party without balloons, right? Amazon has these super cool Blacklight Party Balloons. They come in a pack of 25 and they are black in color with neon polka dots that glow under black light.
Besides your party area decorations, you’re also going to need to make your food and beverage tables look cool!
- Amazon- Neon Disposable Party Supplies Set. This set comes with enough plates, tumbler cups, napkins and cutlery for 16 party guests.
- Wholesale Party Supplies– Glow Party 16-Guest Tableware Deco Kit. The kit comes complete with dinner and dessert plates, cups, napkins, cutlery, table covers, balloons, candles and decoration kit.
- To complete you party table look, scatter some glow sticks on the tables. Amazon has these Ultra Bright Glow Sticks Pack. The glow sticks come 30 to a pack and they last for up to 12 hours.
FOOD & DRINK
What do you think the best part of any party is? The food and drink, right?
- Trays of fresh cut fruits and vegetables will appear red in color under black light. They need to be fruits and vegetables that contain chlorophyll because that’s what make them appear red. Which ones contain chlorophyll, you ask? Mainly the green ones! So, fruits you could use are green apples, green grapes, kiwi and honeydew. For vegetables, broccoli, celery, cucumbers and green peppers would work well.
- Eggs also appear in a different color under black light. Once they are peeled, they will glow a bright white/yellow color.
- Another food option is hot dogs. Under black light, the hot dog rolls, ketchup and mustard glow brightly.
- Rice Krispies Treats are also a great idea. Since the marshmallows and the Rice Krispies are white, the treats will stand out brightly under black light.
- Tastemade features instructions on how to make Glow-in-the-Dark Cupcakes. These cupcakes are super cool and super easy to make.
- Now, let’s talk drinks. Mountain Dew glows brightly under black light. Eating Well has a simple recipe for Color-Changing Lemonade Slushies. And when I say simple, I mean you just need 3 ingredients- boiling water, blue pea flower tea and lemonade.
ACTIVITIES & GAMES
You don’t want your guests to get bored at your party, do you? Well, then you’re probably going to need a few games!
- Face and body painting is always a popular black light party activity! Set out plenty of skin-friendly paints and let your guests go to town!
- Buzzfeed features a DIY How-To Tutorial: Glow-in-the-Dark Hot Potato Game. This is a fun and exciting spin on the classic Hot Potato game.
- Holidappy shows you how to make your own Glow-in-the-Dark Twister Game. Twister is a classic party game and this version just takes it up a notch.
- Growing a Jeweled shows you how to create your own Glow-in-the-Dark Bowling Game.
- And if you still need more ideas, check out these glow in the dark party ideas!
During the party, make sure to hand out plenty of glow jewelry and glow sticks! Afterward, send guests home with one of these fun favors.
- First up are these cool Large Beam Flashlight Keychains. They feature 12 per pack and come in rainbow colors.
- Next are these Light-Up Skull Puffer Ball Yo-Yo’s. These squishy yo-yo’s come in a pack of 12 and feature 4 colors- green, orange, pink and yellow.
- Last up are these Light-Up Pop-Out Tongue Bouncy Balls. These cute bouncy balls feature 12 per pack and come in bright neon colors.
Okay, take some or all of these ideas and go have the greatest black light party ever!