Anger, Fear, Disgust, Sadness, and Joy have splashed across the big screen over the summer and I love every one of these little guys in the new Disney & Pixar film Inside Out. I know I totally empathized while watching this movie as all of those emotions are constantly at odds in my head too. One minute in my head Joy is throwing a party, and the next minute Disgust is throwing out a shade before I can close my mouth. I love all the characters, though if I had to pick a favorite Anger is topping my list. That poor guy goes from zero to red hot in a blink. You might act the same way if your head caught on fire all the time.
Inside Out Inspired Shoes Craft for Teens
Related: 9 Movie Posters That Look Awesome On Your Wall
If you have not seen the movie, you MUST check out the Inside Out trailer and then go see it right away. This movie will not only give you the feels, it IS all the feels. TBH, I cannot get enough of this movie. That is why I whipped a cool pair of original Inside Out inspired kicks to show a little love to all of the five Inside Out emotions. These shoes are easy to make and will have you bouncing for… Joy!
Supplies You Will Need for these crafts for teens
(Affiliate links included below)
- A pair white tennis shoes
- Tape (Duct tape or painters tape are my favs.)
- Acrylic paint (or another fabric paint): black, red, yellow, green, blue, and purple. The set we linked to has all except purple. You can either get that separate or mix red and blue to make it.
- Small paint brushes or a foam stencil brushed with a round tip (I like ArtMinds Stencil Brush Super Value Pack)
Related: Hottest Summer Movie Releases for Teens (Complete with Trailers!)
If you need supplies the craft store is the place to head. Save a little of your cash and print off a coupon from Michael’s before you head into the store for you essentials. Most of these items I usually keep on hand, but I want to make sure I have the perfect paint colors to match each Inside Out character. I would not want to leave out one, then the flames will start coming out of Anger’s head.
- Remove the laces from the shoes.
- Tape around the sole of each shoe to keep the paint from getting on this part of the shoe.
- Stuff each toe with newspaper.
- Outline the Inside Out head with a pencil on the toe of the shoe. If you need a guide, the first image at Horsing Around In LA should help you get the shape just right. On the left shoe, draw the outline of the head about an inch to the left of center. For the right shoe, draw the outline of the head straight on the center. This will make the shoes look even once you paint.
- Using the Inside Out colors, dot the paint randomly on each shoe. A round foam stencil brush will help you to create circles, or you can free hand it. Cover the white part of the shoe, avoiding the outline of the head.
- Outline the head first, and then fill in the head outline with black paint.
Allow your shoes to dry, and then wear them out!
How did your shoes turn out? Mine are fab, check them out!
These shoes cost a fraction of what you would pay for fun colored shoes in the store. You will also be the only one with these custom shoes unless you are nice enough to make a pair for your friend.
16 thoughts on “DIY: Make Disney Pixar Inside Out Inspired Shoes”
Those are too cute. I love them and I think my nieces would, too.
How cute are these shoes? I remember as a little girl I used to bedazzle my shoes all of the time–it was such a fun way to be unique.
These shoes are so stinking cute! My daughter would really love these!
I love your design very creative I know lots of kids would love these …Great with jeans.
These are really cute. I think my neighbors would love these! I think I’ll surprise them!
You would be the best neighbor ever!
I love these shoes! I really have to show this to my daughter. I know she’s going to want to make them. I’d wear them myself. 🙂
Aww how cute! I imagine it’s going to be easy with the other characters too!
These are adorable and fun. I love the colorful dots! We are seeing Inside out soon, we haven’t yet so I am not sure about characters but these are great!
Watch out for Disgust, she’s my personal fav.
Oh my goodness those are cute. I think it’s way smart to make your own!
Such a fun idea for super cute & frugal shoes!! My best friend’s little girls would go crazy for them!!
What a great idea! It’s a fun craft for the kids to do, and then they get to wear their own customized shoes.
Comments are closed.