In the mood for a good fantasy romance anime?
There are actually quite a few, and I’m going to share my favorites with you!
I had to do a lot of research into this and watch a lot of anime to pick my top 10.
Usually, I ask my son, but he’s more of a supernatural anime fan.
Still, between myself, my son, and my anime-addicted friends, I narrowed down the list to just the top 10.
Check which shows and movies made my fantasy romance anime list!
What is Fantasy Romance Anime
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Before we dive into these great fantasy romance anime, let’s clarify a few things first. I think we all have different ideas as to what “fantasy” means.
- To me, it’s mostly about dragons and wizards, faeries and elves. You know, the things you’d find in a high fantasy book by Terry Brooks.
- However, to my son and some of my friends, fantasy also includes things like vampires, werewolves, and other beasts that you would find in a supernatural show. In fact, there is an entire YA books genre called “vampire fantasy.”
So, assume that, for the most part, all of these fantasy romance anime shows and movies fall more into the traditional definition, unless I note otherwise. 😀 Sound good? Okay, let’s get started!
Top 10 Best Fantasy Romance Anime
I did my best to include mostly “all-age” anime, because as I’m sure you know, some anime can get a bit raunchy, race, and risque! However, it’s not my place to censor your watch list, and I can’t guarantee that every single one doesn’t have scenes that you might not be comfortable with.
1. Inari Kon Kon
Let’s start with a sweet and innocent romance, shall we? Trust me, we’ll get to the really juicy ones in a bit, but I wanted to make sure we started with something everyone can enjoy.
- Inari Kon Kon, also called Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha, is about a girl named Inari, who is neither graceful nor exceptionally smart. She is, however, a very sweet and caring girl full of compassion and empathy.
- Inari is crazy for Kouji, but she just can’t bring herself to tell him.
- One day, Inari saves a fox pup, and wins the favor of a god who grants her a wish. Of course, wishes always have a catch, and this one turns out to be more trouble than it’s worth.
- Inari receives the power to turn into anyone. During the mini-series, she learns to navigate her new power…and her new romantic challenges!
2. Sword Art Online
I’ve been going back and forth trying to decide if Sword Art Online belonged on a fantasy romance anime list, but after a lot of consideration, I decided to include it. While it’s definitely NOT a romance, it does have love stories intertwined with the other stories.
- SAO is about players who get trapped in a video game. If they die in the game, it’s curtains in real life.
- While there are thousands of people trapped in the game, there are only about 15 characters that you really need to pay attention to (you’ll find out which, I’m not giving anything away).
- The biggest romance is between Kirito and Asuna Yuuk, who get married in the game.
- My son has seen this one three times, and it’s definitely one of the most popular anime across all categories.
3. Midori Days
Okay, I’ll be honest, this one is a little weird! Still, it’s a fun fantasy romance anime with strong male lead!
- Midori Days, also called Midori no Hibi, is about a guy who is best know for his killer right hook, aka “Demon Right Hand.”
- One morning, he wakes up to discover that said hand has been replaced by a tiny woman. See, told you it was weird!
- See, the woman was so in love with him that she wished she could be close to him. Remember what we said about wishes!
- Over the next few weeks, the two team up to try to get poor Midori back to her own body. At first, Seiji is kind of a jerk to Midori, but eventually he comes around.
4. The World is Still Beautiful
- Also called Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, The World is Still Beautiful is a tale of two kingdoms joined together through love.
- Livius Ifrikia is king of the Sun Kingdom where, as the name implies, it’s always sunny and never rains.
- Nike Remercier is the princess of the Rain Dukedom, where the opposite is true.
- Livius decides that he wants to marry Nike, but she’s a little scared of him because of all the rumors.
- She decides to form her own opinion, though, and discovers that he’s not a bad guy at all.
- A beautiful romance ensues.
Kobato is perfect if you want a sweet fantasy romance anime with a strong female lead.
- The story follows the adventures of the title character, Kobato, who has a magic flash that can absorb sorry. Her goal is to fill it up and make life brighter for everyone.
- Before she can do that, though, she needs a half-human creatures called Ioryogi to approve her plan, and he’s just not so sure she’s up to the task.
- See, the only way to really understand sorrow is to have your heart broken, and Kobato will have to learn that some hearts just can’t be healed.
- Let’s just hope one of them isn’t her own!
6. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
A breathtakingly beautiful fantasy romance anime, Anohana is about fulfilling a friend’s last wish.
- After losing Menma, six childhood friends grow apart.
- Jintan, the “leader” of their gang, the Super Peace Busters, is feeling a bit aimless and purposeless, until he sees Menma’s spirit.
- She tells him that he can see her because she has a wish she needs fulfilled, but she doesn’t quite know what it is.
- Jintan springs into action, trying to discover Menma’s wish and make it come true.
- Fair warning: this movie is a tearjerker.
7. Fairy Tale
The award winning Fairy Tale anime is another one that isn’t super heavy on the romance, but definitely features both strong male and female leads who do bond on a very deep level.
- The story takes place in the kingdom of Fiore, where wizards earn a living by joining a guild and becoming contracted “wizards for hire.” One such guild, Fairy Tale, is among the strongest of them all.
- Lucy Heartfilia, a young mage on a quest to find celestial gate keys, dreams of joining the Fairy Tale guild. On her quest, she runs into Natsu and Happy who are searching for Natsu’s foster day.
- When Lucy is almost kidnapped, Natsu saves her. He tells her that he’s a member of Fairy Tale and invites her to join.
- Once there, she meets all of the members, and together they battle the forces of evil and make new friends. While the romance angle isn’t a major part of the story, it does play out among a few of the characters. This is a great one if you love a deep fantasy story with a touch of romance, versus something that is ALL about to love story.
8. The Ancient Magus’ Bride
If you love Beauty and the Beast type stories, The Ancient Magus’ Bride and want a more recent fantasy anime (2017 or so), this is a good pick.
- It is the story of a young girl named Chise Hatori, who is auctioned off as a slave to Elias, a masked and cloaked man who is known to be a notorious magus.
- Elias takes Chise away to his cottage, where adventure awaits them at every turn.
- Chise quickly learns that not all rumors should be believed, and beauty is more than skin deep.
- It premiered in 2016, and wrapped up in 2017.
Katanagatari is a great fantasy romance anime for those seeking a truly epic love story.
The story is about a Shichika, a swordsman who fights without a sword, and Togame, a strategist who is trying to collect 12 legendary swords.
Togame asks Shichika to help her gather the blades, and together they journey across the lands of Edo Japan.
Along the way, they face many obstacles and form a deep bond.
Expect plenty of plot twists, epic love, and even humor. This is truly an anime fantasy romance comedy!
10. Vampire Knight
- For Yuki Cross, her earliest memory involves both being attacked by and saved by a vampire named Kaname.
- Yuki, along with Zero Kiryu, are Guardians of Cross Academy, and their job is to keep the peace between the humans of the Day Class and the vampires of the Night Class.
- Little does Yuki know, Zero has been fighting his transformation into a vampire for years, and he’s losing the battle.
- Vampire Knight follows Yuki and Zero’s story, as she helps him learn to control his blood lust.
- Yuki struggles to reconcile her feelings for both Kaname and Zero, creating the typical love triangle that’s so prevalent in vampire fantasy stories.
Since a lot of anime stories cross through many genres, you’ll find both romance and fantasy in many, many different tales. These are my top ten picks, but I’d love to hear yours!
What are some other fantasy romance anime that you love? Share below!