Finding TV shows like Billions is not that easy since the Showtime hit is a unique show all around.
Do you look for TV shows that depict the political process in the US?
Do you look for shows with characters that are morally ambiguous, without a clear distinction between the good guys or bad guys?
Read on to find out what shows we think you’ll love if you’re a fan of Billions!
Plus, check out the Billions cast and a season 3 episode guide!
RELATED: 15 TV Shows Like Hart of Dixie That Will Make You Follow Your Dreams
BILLIONS on Showtime – OVERVIEW
So, let me tell you something- if you have never watched Billions before, I highly suggest you clear some time from your schedule- enough to binge watch 34 episodes- grab some popcorn and a cozy blanket and settle in for one of the greatest drama television series, in my opinion!
The best part of all this is that this show isn’t even done yet. Nope! In April of 2018, Showtime renewed Billions for season 4! At the time, there is no premiere date for the start of season 4.
- The series focuses on two powerful New York figures- savvy U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades and successful hedge fun manager Bobby Axelrod- as they come fact-to-face in an array of Bobby’s legal battles.
- The character of Chuck is loosely based on Eliot Spitzer and Preet Bharara. Spitzer is an attorney, educator and politician and the former Attorney General of New York, as well as the former Governor of New York.
- Sadly, the only thing most people will remember Spitzer for is his 2008 involvement in a prostitution scandal. Bharara is the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
- The character of Bobby is loosely based on Steven A. Cohen- a hedge fund manager, investor and philanthropist.
RELATED: 12 Amazing Shows Like Psych
BILLIONS – CAST
Paul Giamatti as Charles “Chuck” Rhoades
Chuck is the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
- He was born into a wealthy family.
- He is a graduate of Yale University and is currently married to Wendy.
- The one thing that Chuck hates the most are wealthy criminals who think they can buy their way out of things.
- Chuck is known to be brash, brilliant and ruthless.
- Here is an interesting fact for you- Paul Giamatti also graduated from Yale University. Cool, eh?
Related: 20 Fantastic Shows Like Shameless That Show Life’s Ups and Downs
Damian Lewis as Robert “Bobby”Axelrod
Bobby is a Wall Street billionaire and founder of Axe Capital, a successful hedge fund.
- He was born into a blue-collar family but now he has no problems breaking the laws of the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission in order to make his riches.
- He is a graduate of Hofstra University and is currently married to Lara.
- Bobby is known to be ambitious, charitable and generous.
Maggie Stiff as Wendy Rhoades
Wendy is a Psychiatrist and in-house Performance Coach at Axe Capital.(Yes, that’s right- Chuck’s wife works for the person that he despises the most- Bobby!)
- She possesses a Doctorate degree and is currently married to Chuck.
- Wendy is known to be motivated, self-possessed and successful.
Malin Akerman as Lara Axelrod
Lara is a former nurse who worked at New York Presbyterian Hospital.
- Like her husband, she was born into a blue-collar family.
- She is currently married to Bobby.
- Lara is known to be devoted, feisty and friendly.
Toby Leonard Moore as Bryan Connerty
Bryan is the Chief of the Securities & Commodities Fraud Task Force, which is part of the Southern District of New York.
- He is also Chuck’s right hand man.
- Bryan is known to be ambitious, idealistic and tough.
Condola Rashad as Kate Sacker
Kate is an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
- She was born into a wealthy family and is a graduate of an Ivy League law school.
- Kate is known to be ambitious, smart and valuable.
David Costabile as Mike “Wags” Wagner
View this post on Instagram
Pro Acting Tip Series #2. Is your next scene filled with tense heated debate? Do you need to bring the hammer down? Maybe start by perching jauntily on the desk’s edge. Starting from what may seem like an opposite psychophysical place can yield surprising results. Mix it up. #proactingtips
Mike is the Chief Operating Officer of Axe Capital.
- He is also Bobby’s right hand man.
- Mike is known to be loyal, yet also offensive and volatile.
RELATED: 80+ TV Shows Like the One You Just Finished Binging!
BILLIONS – SEASON 3 EPISODES
* Affiliate links included below. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Season 3 of Billions features 12 episodes and aired from March 25, 2018 to June 10, 2018!
Episode 1 – Tie Goes to the Runner
Chuck receives an official order from his new boos- Attorney General Waylon Jeffcoat. Taylor Mason comes up with a great strategy to unfreeze Axe Capital’s accounts.
Episode 2- The Wrong Maria Gonzalez
When Chuck is owed a favor from Judge Leonard Funt, he quickly learns that the judge isn’t keen about keeping his end of the deal. Bobby discovers a new avenue for conducting his trades.
Episode 3- A Generation Too Late
Chuck faces a dilemma when he’s asked to prosecute an innocent prisoner who is charged with murdering a prison guard. Bryan and Oliver Dake close in on a key witness in the Ice Juice case.
Episode 4 – Hell of a Ride
Bobby looks to neutralize past accomplices for his own benefit. Chuck and his father attempt to reconcile.
Episode 5 – Flaw in the Death Star
Chuck and Bobby fight for the loyalty of the same person- Ari Spyros- who used to be friendly with Chuck but now works for Bobby.
Episode 6 – The Third Ortolan
Bobby stumbles upon a crucial piece of evidence that could ruin him. Judge Adam DeGiulio gives Bryan a tough deadline that could potentially dismiss the entire case.
Episode 7 – Not You, Mr. Dake
Bobby and Chuck face the evidence regarding their involvement in the Ice Juice case and surprisingly plot their game plan together. Bryan faces unexpected witness testimony from Dudley Mafee.
Episode 8 – All the Wilburys
Bobby attempts a fresh start at Axe Capital, with a cautious attitude. Bryan faces an uncomfortable situation after his case against Bobby is dismissed.
Episode 9 – Icebreaker
Bobby tries to secure funding for Axe Capital from a controversial source- Grigor Andolov- a dangerous Russian oil baron. Bryan pursues a new career as a Special Counsel for the FBI’s New York Office.
Episode 10 – Redemption
Bobby faces a desperate moment and considers accepting Grigor Andolov’s investment offer.
Episode 11 – Kompenso
The viral-video sensation Nusret Gokce makes an unexpected appearance to open the episode.
Episode 12 – Elmsley Count
Axe dominates a capital raise event, but is soon challenged by an unexpected competitor. Chuck looks to strike the ultimate blow on an enemy.
17 Exciting TV Shows Like Billions
1. White Collar
Who do you call if you need help solving white-collar crimes? Well, the best white-collar criminal out there, of course.
- This TV show, currently streaming on Netflix, is basically how the movie Catch Me If You Can would look like if Leonardo di Caprio was caught at the beginning and started cooperating with the FBI for the next six seasons.
- It is a great TV show which is very similar to Billions because of that financial crimes aspect.
Love this show? Check out 17 Intensely Amazing TV Crime Shows Like White Collar (in 2018)!
2. The West Wing
Written by a great wordsmith like Aaron Sorkin, who wrote scripts for Social Network and A Few Good Men, among other movies.
- This political drama that follows everyday lives of the US President (Martin Sheen) and his loyal staff truly has the ability to keep you stuck to the screen for a long time, especially if you like political shows like Billions, for example.
- Find this one streaming on Netflix!
Yes, I am a big fan of Aaron Sorkin.
- This is another TV show that he wrote, and it is very much alike Billions in that political sense.
- This show had only three seasons, but they were packed with amazing, real-life stories covered by the fictional group of reporters who fought to get the truth out there regardless of the consequences.
4. Mr. Robot
Have you ever wished that Fight Club gets made into a TV show? Well, Mr. Robot is the next best thing and truly a show you shouldn’t miss.
- Hop on the bandwagon for this intelligent, anarchic, mysterious TV show that offers that same moral ambiguity like Billions.
- Read our full review of Mr. ROBOT.
5. John Adams
Based on a true story that follows the birth of a nation and life of John Adams, one of the Founding Fathers.
- This HBO mini-series has all of the political drama you can handle.
- And if you became a fan of Paul Giamatti after Billions, then you shouldn’t miss this TV show since this is one of his greatest roles to date.
6. Breaking Bad
Even though Breaking Bad is a pretty unique show as well, there are some similarities with Billions.
- The major one comes from the moral ambiguity of the titular character, a chemistry professor with freshly discovered cancer and his complete transformation from a regular, unnoticeable man to a powerful drug lord.
- Watch the entire series of Breaking Bad on Netflix.
►►Love this show? Check out 5 Badass TV Shows Like Breaking Bad That You Can’t Stop Watching
7. Designated Survivor
During the State of the Union, all Cabinet members are in one place, listening to the President’s address.
- All except one, deemed the designated survivor, who is kept safe and away from it all so he can become President in case of an attack on the Government of the US.
- That’s what happens in this TV show, and that’s when the fun and games of the political intrigues kick in.
►►Check out more great political shows like Designated Survivor!
8. Ray Donovan
This is another unique show that is hard to describe before you watch it. You can’t put a label on Ray Donovan, just like you can’t do it with Billions, but that is why this show about a “fixer” who makes the problems of Hollywood big-shots disappear is so great. That, and the fact that good and bad are not so easily distinguishable in here.
This is another hit show from Showtime!
- It’s also another show where Damian Lewis plays one of the leading roles, an American soldier freed from the hands of Al Qaida after a long time, which makes one CIA operative suspect that he has been turned by the terrorists.
- It is a little bit more action-packed compared to the other shows on my list, but it has a lot of mind games and intrigue, characteristic for shows like Billions.
►► 5 Of The Most Dramatic TV Shows Like Homeland To Give You Secret Spy Goals
10. House of Cards
House of Cards is another political drama, but with some more serious crimes committed in the race to the top.
- If you like unscrupulous, power-grabbing characters devoid of morality and a sinister look inside the US political system, this TV show will certainly get your attention from the start.
- Since this one is a Netflix Original, you’ll be able to catch it indefinitely on the streaming service.
So, how is Ballers similar to Billions, you ask? I really have no idea, but it has The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) in it so that’s really all that matters! I am just kidding but hey, it sure sounded good! I am always on-board with anything that has The Rock in it.
- Ballers centers on Spencer Strasmore- a former NFL player who now works as a Financial Manager to current NFL players.
- So, you could probably compare Spencer to Bobby on Billions!
12. Boardwalk Empire
Boardwalk Empire is set in Atlantic City, New Jersey and focuses on Enoch “Nucky” Thompson- who plays both sides of the law, as a corrupt Treasurer who also befriends gangsters.
- The series is based on the 2002 true crime novel- Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times & Corruption of Atlantic City- by Nelson Johnson and depicts the life of Enoch L. Johnson- former businessman, political boss, racketeer and Sheriff of Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Boardwalk Empire aired for 5 seasons- from 2010 to 2014.
- It is really a great series and features the talented acting of Steve Buscemi.
Damages has similar high financial, corporate elements that Billions has.
- The series showcases Ellen Parsons- an ambitious and naïve law school graduate, who becomes the protegee of Patty Hewes- a brilliant and ruthless attorney.
- If you haven’t seen Damages, I highly recommend watching it.
- The series aired for 5 seasons- from 2007 to 2012 and it features 2 amazing actresses- Rose Byrne and Glenn Close.
Goliath centers on Billy McBride- a former successful attorney, now a drunk ambulance chaser, who gets just one shot at making a successful comeback.
- The series has aired on Amazon since 2016 and stars the ultra-talented actor- Billy Bob Thornton.
- Since it’s an Amazon Original, you can watch it with your Prime membership.
You’re thinking that Narcos is about a drug kingpin, aren’t you? Well, you are 100% right!
- Now, you’re probably thinking that a show about a drug kingpin can’t possible have anything in common with a show like Billions, right?
- Well, they do have something in common- a charismatic bad guy!
- Billions has Bobby Axelrod and Narcos has Pablo Escobar. Narcos is based on the true-life story of Pablo Escobar- a successful and wealthy Columbian drug lord.
16. Peaky Blinders
I know what you’re thinking- how in the world can Peaky Blinders- a British show that is set in the 1920’s- be anything like Billions?
- Well, the one thing that the two shows have in common is they both have a protagonist that is smart and successful, but they are both also opposites in nature.
- Peaky Blinders showcases the Shelby Family- family members who are known as the Peaky Blinders gang- and focuses on Tommy Shelby- the gang’s leader- as well as Chester Campbell- a Belfast Detective with a mission to take down the gang for good!
- In case you haven’t seen this amazing legal drama- with season 8 set to premiere on July 18, 2018- it focuses on Mike Ross- a brilliant college dropout and his unlikely partnership with Harvey Specter- an attorney at a prestigious New York law firm.
- So, what makes this show so cool is that Mike never attended law school!
- You just have to watch this great show!
I hope, however, that my choices from this list will help you find the next show you can watch with the same intensity as you did with Billions.
Have you found any other shows like Billions? Tell us in the comments!