The 2016 iHeart Radio Music Awards recap is here, and we have all the best moments and details you may have missed during the show! I always love to read recaps myself after award shows because there are so many juicy details you may have missed! This 2016 iHeart Music Awards recap is no exception, with plenty of juicy Bieber gossip. Taylor Swift was charming us all, and Rihanna was pulling out all the stops! There were also plenty of new songs that premiered for the first time live including Meghan Trainor, G-Eazy and Jason Derulo. See my full 2016 iHeart Music Awards recap now for all the best (and worst!) moments!
Everything You Missed: The Full 2016 iHeart Radio Music Awards Recap
The iHeart Radio Music Awards were presented live from The Forum in Los Angeles, California. The show’s host was singer Jason Derulo. Several of the awards were handed out before the show. I listed my predictions, which I didn’t do so well on, below along with all the big winners.
The show opened with Justin Bieber singing his hit song Company. One lucky fan in the audience got to dance with Bieber during the performance. Demi Lovato and Brad Paisley performed a duet of Lovato’s song Stone Cold. Why was Paisley not at the ACM Awards?
Jason Derulo opens the show by shaking and dancing his way through some popular hit songs, including Jumpman by Drake and Future, Hey Mama by David Guetta, Bad Blood by Taylor Swift, Trap Queen by Fetty Wap, Work by Rihanna and Lean On by Major Lazer and DJ Snake.
Justin Bieber takes the stage to sing a medley of his songs: Love Yourself and Company. One lucky fan in the audience even got to dance with Bieber during his performance. Bieber appeared on stage with baggy clothes and dreadlocks. Yes, I said dreadlocks. Bieber and dreadlocks just don’t mix, in my opinion. Can we keep his songs and send his look packing? Maybe we can send him to the Juno Awards.
The biggest bit of gossip is that on again, off again flame Selena Gomez was nowhere to be found during the performance and that later behind stage they didn’t speak to each other. Selena’s bestie Taylor Swift also seemed unimpressed by the Biebs performance, barely warranting a clap from a usually enthusiastic Taylor. Oh the drama, are Selena and Justin done for good this time? Don’t worry Selena, your bestie Taylor has your back!
Country star Brad Paisley presents the award for Female Artist of the Year to Taylor Swift. Swift was beaming with pride as she accepted her award. Brad Paisley seemed a little excited for her too.
Meghan Trainor takes the stage to perform her hit song No. This performance is the first time that she has sang “No” live. Meghan looked amazing donned in a slick black and red dress and her performance featured over 20 female dancers. Credit where credit is due, Meghan Trainor was obvi on top of her game tonight.
2 Chainz presents the award for R&B Artist of the Year to Chris Brown. Pete Wentz from the rock group Fall Out Boy, presented the award for Biggest Triple Threat to Selena Gomez, for her work as a singer, actress, and dancer.
Charles Barkley, James Jones, and Kenny Smith are live in Houston, Texas at the 2016 NCAA March Madness Music Festival, where Pitbull is onstage performing his song Fireball. Not sure if he was having technical issues but his vocals were louder than the music. Other than that, Pitbull was his usual charming and sexy self.
Back in Los Angeles, Fetty Wap performs his hit song Again. Fetty had a cool performance, and he took the stage on an ATV.
Professional dancer Julianne Hough presents the award for Dance Artist of the Year to Calvin Harris. During his speech, cameras zoned in on Taylor, who was gazing at him on stage with cute, puppy dog eyes.
Kelly Osbourne and on-air radio personality Bobby Bones introduce the next performance: Demi Lovato and Brad Paisley performing Demi’s hit song Stone Cold. What an amazing performance, one that will probably be talked about for days and weeks to come. She belted out the tune with such emotion and such power. Paisley did an incredible job playing guitar during the performance.
Justin Timberlake takes the stage to present the award for Best Tour to Taylor Swift. During his presentation, he made time for a political jab at Donald Trump: “Some people are out here to build walls – I ain’t naming no names. That was a political joke, shut up you can’t even joke – I’m kidding.” Taylor invites us to knock down walls and be on her #squad.” During her acceptance speech, Taylor thanked her boyfriend by saying, “For the first time, I had the most amazing person to come home to when the spotlight went out and when the crowds were all gone, so I want to thank my boyfriend Adam for that.” Referring to boyfriend Calvin Harris, real name Adam Richard Wiles.
Trey Songz showcases the presentation of Song of the Year to Adele for her song Hello. She was broadcast from her concert appearance on March 30, 2016, in Birmingham, England.
Diplo introduces the next performance: Chris Brown. Brown does a 4-song medley of his hit songs including Liquor, Back to Sleep, Wrist, and Anyway. I love Chris Brown and his natural dance moves. Great performance.
Wiz Khalifa presents the award for Best New Artist to Fetty Wap. During his speech, Fetty said, “I just want to thank God for this, my fans, iHeart Radio.”
Iliza Shlesinger introduces the next performance: G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha performing Me, Myself and I. This was G-Eazy first performance at an award show. He seemed like a pro up there on stage.
Pharrell Williams presents U2 with the Innovator Award. In his introduction, Williams says about the band, “These are the type of guys if they see a problem, they don’t just sing about it, they do their best to fix it.” During their acceptance speech, Bono said, “As strange [as it is] to say, there are places around the world where making music is a crime, where you can go to jail for expressing an opinion, where you can get a punch in the face for disagreeing with some politician somewhere. That could never happen here. Could it?”
Big Sean presents the award for Dance Song of the Year to Skrillex, Diplo and Justin Bieber for their amazing song Where Are U Now.
Keke Palmer introduces the performance of DNCE, singing their hit song Cake by the Ocean and Le Freak with special guest Nile Rodgers. There was a cute moment during the performance when DNCE frontman, Joe Jonas, went out into the audience and serenaded Demi Lovato, as she rocked out to the song.
Professional dancer and choreographer, Derek Hough, and star of The Vampire Diaries, Kat Graham, present the award for Male Artist of the Year to Justin Bieber.
Back in Houston, Texas at the 2016 NCAA March Madness Music Festival, Maroon 5 perform their song Animals. Like Pitbull’s performance, Maroon 5 didn’t sound totally right. They were live but just not at The Forum in Los Angeles.
Singer and songwriter, Nicky Jam, introduces Jason Derulo, who performs his hit song If It Ain’t Love. The single premiered on April 1, 2016, and this was his first live performance of the song.
The award for Best Fan Army was presented to Justin Bieber and his Beliebers. Also, the award for Most Meme-able Moment was awarded to Taylor Swift.
Actor Adam Rodriguez presents the award for Latin Song of the Year to Nicky Jam and Enrique Iglesias for their song El Perdon.
Zendaya introduces ZAYN and his performance Like I Would. If you look up the word ‘slay’ in the dictionary, I am pretty sure it would say ZAYN next to it. As a former member of One Direction, he totally nailed his solo performance. It was cool how the stage featured thousands of lasers as ZAYN performed.
The Weeknd performs live via the 2016 Juno Awards, performing Acquainted and Might Not, with special guest Belly. This was definitely one of the top performances of the night. He totally slayed his performance.
Selena Gomez takes the stage to present the award for Album of the Year to her BFF Taylor Swift for her album 1989.
The award show closes with a stunning performance of Team by Iggy Azalea. Iggy shared the stage with a real-life jet featuring graffiti.
That’s it for this 2016 iHeart Radio Music Awards recap. Check below for the full list fo winners!
The 2016 iHeart Radio Music Awards Recap Winners And Predictions List!
Song of the Year
- “Blank Space” — Taylor Swift
- “Can’t Feel My Face” — The Weeknd
- “Hello” — Adele- I love Adele and love this song. I am pretty sure I have listened to it at least 50 times! – WINNER
- “Shut Up and Dance” — Walk The Moon
- “Uptown Funk” — Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
Female Artist of the Year
- Carrie Underwood
- Meghan Trainor
- Selena Gomez- This is tough because I like both Adele and Selena, but Selena is my pick. I used to watch her on the Disney Channel show Wizards of Waverly Place and love her song Same Old Love.
- Taylor Swift- WINNER
Male Artist of the Year
- Ed Sheeran
- Justin Bieber- WINNER
- Luke Bryan- Hands down, Luke Bryan! I doubt he will win because The Weeknd seems to be very popular these days, but I love Luke.
- Sam Smith
- The Weeknd
Best New Artist
- Fetty Wap- WINNER
- Hozier- Hozier is simply amazing. Their song Take Me to Church is one of the best songs ever!
- Sam Hunt
- Shawn Mendes
- Tove Lo
Best Duo/Group of the Year
- Fall Out Boy
- Maroon 5- I faithfully watch The Voice and love Adam Levine. WINNER
- One Direction
- Walk The Moon
- Zac Brown Band
Album of the Year
- 1989 – Taylor Swift- WINNER
- 25 – Adele- Again, Adele is amazing!
- Beauty Behind the Madness – The Weeknd
- In the Lonely Hour – Sam Smith
- X – Ed Sheeran
- Foo Fighters
- Garth Brooks
- Luke Bryan
- Taylor Swift- WINNER
Alternative Rock Artist of the Year
- Foo Fighters
- Twenty-One Pilots- WINNER
- X Ambassadors
Alternative Rock Song of the Year
- “Cigarette Daydreams” – Cage The Elephant
- “Ex’s & Oh’s” – Elle King
- “Renegades” – X Ambassadors
- “Shut Up and Dance” – Walk The Moon
- “Stressed Out” – Twenty-One Pilots- WINNER
Rock Artist of the Year
- Breaking Benjamin
- Five Finger Death Punch
- Foo Fighters- Love all these nominees but got to go with Foo Fighters! WINNER
- Three Days Grace
Rock Song of the Year
- “Cut The Cord” – Shinedown
- “Failure” – Breaking Benjamin
- “Footsteps” – Pop Evil
- “Heavy Is the Head” – Zac Brown Band featuring Chris Cornell- WINNER
- “I Am Machine” – Three Days Grace
Country Song of the Year
- “Buy Me A Boat” – Chris Janson- WINNER
- “Homegrown” – Zac Brown Band
- “I See You” – Luke Bryan- Well, duh, got to choose my Luke!
- “Lose My Mind” – Brett Eldredge
- “Take Your Time” – Sam Hunt
Country Artist of the Year
- Blake Shelton
- Brad Paisley
- Luke Bryan- Again, Luke! WINNER
- Sam Hunt
- Thomas Rhett
Dance Song of the Year
- “Hey Mama” – David Guetta featuring Nicki Minaj, Bebe Rexha & Afrojack
- “Lean On” – Major Lazer & DJ Snake featuring MØ
- “Waves” – Mr. Probz- WINNER
- “Where Are Ü Now?” – Skrillex & Diplo with Justin Bieber- Amazing song!
- “You Know You Like It” – DJ Snake & AlunaGeorge
Dance Artist of the Year
- Calvin Harris- The best EDM artist out there! WINNER
- David Guetta
- Major Lazer
- Skrillex & Diplo
Hip Hop Song of the Year
- “Blessings” – Big Sean featuring Drake & Kanye West
- “Flex (Ooh, Ooh, Ooh)” – Rich Homie Quan
- “Hotline Bling” – Drake- WINNER
- “Trap Queen” – Fetty Wap
- “Truffle Butter” – Nicki Minaj featuring Drake & Lil Wayne
Hip Hop Artist of the Year
- Big Sean
- Drake- WINNER
- Fetty Wap
- J. Cole
R&B Song of the Year
- “Bitch Better Have My Money” – Rihanna
- “Earned It” – The Weeknd- WINNER
- “Planes” – Jeremih featuring J. Cole
- “Post to Be” – Omarion featuring Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko
- “The Hills” – The Weeknd
R&B Artist of the Year
- Chris Brown- Don’t think he will win, but he is my choice. The Weeknd is too popular these days! WINNER
- The Weeknd
- Trey Songz
Latin Song of the Year
- “Ay Vamos” – J Balvin
- “El Perdón” – Nicky Jam & Enrique Iglesias- WINNER
- “Hilito” – Romeo Santos
- “La Gozadera” – Gente De Zona featuring Marc Anthony
- “Mi Verdad” – Maná featuring Shakira
Latin Artist of the Year
- Enrique Iglesias
- J Balvin
- Nicky Jam
- Pitbull- WINNER
- Prince Royce
Regional Mexican Song of the Year
- “Aunque Ahora Estés Con Él” – Calibre 50
- “Eres Una Niña” – Gerardo Ortiz
- “Levantando Polvadera” – Voz de Mando- WINNER
- “Mi Vicio Más Grande” – Banda El Recodo de Cruz Lizárraga
- “Te Mestiste” – Ariel Camacho y Los Plebes del Rancho
Regional Mexican Artist of the Year
- Banda Los Recoditos- WINNER
- Calibre 50
- Gerardo Ortiz
- Julión Álvarez y Su Norteño Banda
- Voz De Mando
- “Die A Happy Man” — Thomas Rhett
- “Fight Song” — Rachel Platten- WINNER
- “Hello” — Adele- These are all great songs. It was a toss between Hello, Fight Song and See You Again but this is Adele.
- “Photograph” — Ed Sheeran
- “See You Again” — Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth
- “Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar
- “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” – Meghan Trainor featuring John Legend
- “See You Again” – Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth
- “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars- WINNER
- “Where Are Ü Now?” – Skrillex & Diplo with Justin Bieber- Great song once again!
Best Cover Song
- “1989” (Album in Full) – Ryan Adams covering Taylor Swift
- “Bad Blood” – Alessia Cara covering Taylor Swift
- “Bitch Better Have My Money” – Kelly Clarkson covering Rihanna
- “Cheerleader” – Pentatonix covering Omi
- “Hands to Myself/Sorry” – Troy Sivan covering Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber
- “Hello” – Demi Lovato covering Adele- While Adele is totally unique, Demi did a great job covering her song!
- “Hotline Bling” – Justin Bieber covering Drake
- “Hotline Bling” – Sam Smith & Disclosure covering Drake
- “Trap Queen” – Ed Sheeran covering Fetty Wap
- “Uptown Funk” – Fifth Harmony, Jasmine V, Jacob Whitesides and Mahogany Lox covering Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars- WINNER
Best Song from a Movie
- “Earned It” – The Weeknd (50 Shades of Grey)
- “Love Me Like You Do” – Ellie Goulding (50 Shades of Grey)
- “See You Again” – Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth (Furious 7)- Love this tribute song to Paul Walker just as much as I love the movie!
- “Til It Happens to You” – Lady Gaga (The Hunting Ground)- WINNER
- “Writing’s On the Wall” – Sam Smith (Spectre)
Most Meme-able Moment
- Adele and all of the “Hello” memes (Lionel Richie, Miss Piggy, Etc.)
- Drake and “Hotline Bling”
- Katy Perry and the Left Shark (from Super Bowl 49)
- Kanye West and Kanye for President / Kanye 2020
- Taylor Swift’s “Crazy Girl” with Running Mascara (from “Blank Space” video)- WINNER
Best Fan Army
- 5 Seconds of Summer -¬ 5SOSFam
- Adam Lambert – Glamberts
- Ariana Grande – Arianators
- Demi Lovato – Lovatics
- Fifth Harmony – Harmonizers
- Justin Bieber – Beliebers- WINNER
- Little Mix – Mixers
- Nicki Minaj – Barbz
- One Direction – Directioners- Wow this is a tough one, but I am a Directioner!
- Selena Gomez – Selenators
- Shawn Mendes – Mendes Army
- Taylor Swift – Swifties
So what did you think of the 2016 iHeart Music Awards recap? Things were a bit Taylor/Selena/Bieber heavy this year! Who was your favorite artist who won? Tell me in the comments!
*Images via Wikia